Oh dear. So now we know where the new star trek writers are coming from. They are arrogant Ayn Randianists, who think that because they have somehow worked their way through a particular power channel in hollywood, that they are better than the rest of us mere mortals.
Robert (Bob) Orci, a screenwriter who also co-penned the terrible vileness that was ‘transformers,’ was picked to do the Star Treks, by JJ Abrams. The first movie killed vulcan (the iealism, the philosphy of Star Trek, which is why the platonist is a trekkie), as we have written about in an earlier review.
Then, the fan base, quite reasonably pens the following article, saying how to fix the new franchise (after it began ok (say some… not me)… and now, has gotten far worse (say all).
To this, Bob Orci, with his millions of dollars, simply can’t handle the criticism.
1) He says he is a George W Bush fan.
2) He says ‘he is the decider.’ and “That’s why I get to write the movies,” because I’m better than you.
(a commenter pointed out that, in fact, he gets to write movies precisely because Hollywood wants bland pablum, and he can deliver, because he is lacking true insight, intelligence, wisdom, or most importantly, idealism.)
3) The main trait he shares with George W, is that he absolutely is incapable of handling criticism from his “lessers,” because he knows, at heart, that he is a fraud.
4) JJ Abrams has said that he didn’t like the original star trek because he thought it was ‘too philosophical.’ I.e., too idealistic.
5) Star Trek and Star Wars both have huge fan bases, because they are idealistic.
6) JJ, and his corporate masters, are right now, engaged in cutting the heart out of both Star Trek, and Star Wars.
7) We must rebel: we will not be cowed by a few rich assholes with connections. Idealism will out: our mythologies will not be ruined by corporate takeovers.
8) Just like D&D did with Pathfinder, we will find ways around the corporate, cynical, arrogant, juvenile, puerile, Ayn Randian: I am better than you because I am rich, attitude which now characterizes so much of the American ruling elite.
9) The arrogant will fall.